Thursday, July 16, 2015

Summer Snacks

I'm always trying to find and think of healthy and healthy-ish snacks for work, travel, kids, etc. My current favorite is carrots and hummus. I love chip-sliced carrots for dipping. So much better than baby carrots for delivering hummus or veggie dips. I drop a couple of tablespoons of red pepper or pine nut humus on the bottom, then pack in as many carrots as I can. You'll quickly find the right ratio for you.

I don't always snack healthy as you can see from my favorite snack container, a repurposed ice cream cup with lid. If you want something more indulgent try UDF's Cookies 'n Cream ice cream. The ice cream tastes like Oreo filling. Uh-MAY-zing!

Like the rest of the country, I'm in the midst of an avocado craze that started for me about a year and a half ago. Try plain avocado with lime tortilla chips. Yum! If you are one of the ten people who hasn't tried avocado yet, they're ripe if they give just a bit when you squeeze them. If they're hard as a rock let sit for a few days and check again. And again. And again. The window of perfect ripeness
is small and hard to find, but so worth it. Pass over any that are very squishy. I like to use the spife from a pack of Mighties kiwis when I'm on the go. This knife and spoon in one makes it easy to enjoy my favorite snack.

For convenience I love Go Picnic packs, like Lunchables but so much better. We tried the salami and crackers with asiago cheese spread. Bonus--little puffy chocolate pillow cookies, sort of like Pirouettes filled with Nutella. My friend Kerri over at SkepticMaMa enlightened me about these. Thanks! I got mine on sale at Target. :-)

Share your favorite snacks in the comments. I have at least two road trips ahead of me this summer and need portable foods.

Thanks for stopping by and keep living the qute life!

~Susie Qute



No comments:

Post a Comment