My son describes Creepers as "tall, stealthy, plant-like, explosive quadrupeds. They kill you, but at least they look a little sad about it." They are apparently the bane of Minecraft players everywhere, since they can live both above and below ground, and don't have to hide from the sun. Additionally, if they get struck by lightning they become supercharged and do more damage.
With all of those interesting, deadly traits, why not make a cute toy version of this common Minecraft enemy? You can sew the head on or leave it detached to provide secret storage inside. For more geektastic Dr. Who, Harry Potter, and more plastic canvas patterns check out this post or just google.
If you've never done plastic canvas before, don't worry, it's super easy. This page has the basics and my project only uses two stitches-continental to fill the pieces and overcast to bind them together.
- One sheet of green or clear plastic canvas with 7 holes to an inch
- Green yarn, about 1.25 ounces of worsted weight
- Black yarn, just a little for the face and toes
- Blunt yarn/tapestry needle
- Cut out pieces according to pattern (see pictures below). Plastic canvas tip-the corners will be sharp and might poke out through the yarn. I like to VERY carefully trim a bit from the corners to round them off. Don't trim more than a little speck or the corner will be too weak.
- Using continental stitch (the basic stitch), fill each piece with solid green stitches (except for the face piece and two feet pieces as shown above and noted on the pattern. Don't stitch on the edges-leave the edges open so you can sew the pieces together.
- Assemble as shown above in photo.