So of course I had a bag of keys and innards in my miscellaneous crafts box for roughly five years. But no more! Today I unearthed them so they can live anew. If you don't have a shameful stash like me, you can purchase keys online or keep an eye out for your own typewriter to
- Optional-clamp to hold keys while you cut them down. Mine is wooden. Any kind will work, but one with a flat edge makes a nice cutting guide. You may not need this if your keys are already thin and flat.
- Typewriter keys
- Ring blanks (available online, I like Rings & Things http://www.rings-things.com/ for a wide range of jewelry making supplies).
- Fine file or sandpaper
- Coping saw with a fine blade
- Super glue or epoxy
- As always, protect your work surface.
- Prepare your coping saw. If you haven't used one, I'll be adding a page soon with some basic craft techniques so check back later!
- Clamp the key as shown at right so a little over 1/8" is protruding.
- Use a thick book or similar item to elevate your clamp. Otherwise it's hard to saw down to the bottom.
- Brace the clamp with one hand and applying gentle pressure saw through the key. It will look like the picture below on the left.
- Your key will probably have some rough edges. Use your file and sandpaper to smooth them down.
- Before gluing things together, you should rough up the surface a bit to improve adherence. Use your file to lightly abrade the back of the key and the top of the ring blank.
- Clean out any plastic dust.
- Decide how you want to position the key on the ring blank. Once you glue it there's no going back.
- Turn the key face down. Apply several drops of super glue, epoxy, or glue of your choice. Press the ring blank gently into place. You only have a couple of seconds before the glue sets, so work fast!
- Use firm pressure to hold the key and ring together for 20 seconds while the glue sets. Set aside and allow to cure for a couple of hours before wearing.
- Enjoy and don't forget to post pics for us to ooh and aah over!
Thanks for stopping by and keep living the Qute life!