Saturday, July 12, 2014

Paul Thurlby's Awesome Alphabet

I was lucky enough to find a copy of Paul Thurlby's awesome alphabet book at a library sale for $2! He has a mid-century esthetic with bright colors and fun shapes. I like how he incorporated the subject into the letter. I used to draw funny alphabet people and animals all the time. Cool bonus-the book jacket unfolds into a poster of the whole alphabet. 

Fun fact about the etymology of alphabet-it comes from the names of the first two letters (Middle English alphabete, from Late Latin alphabetum, from Greek alphabētos, from alpha + bēta beta First Known Use: 1513).

I like T for Trapeze and O for Owl the best. You can buy your own copy, or prints of individual pages, online here. They are pricey individually so if you want to use them for a nursery decoration, you are better off purchasing the whole book for $9-14. He also created numbers, flash cards, and many other prints in his signature style.

I'm not sure yet what I'll do with my book. The only thing I can think of is use them as inserts in binders with clear fronts. Any other suggestions? Keep in mind my boys are teenagers and wouldn't welcome alphabet decor, so I probably won't frame the pages. Perhaps I should keep it intact for visiting little ones.

Thanks for stopping by and keep living the qute life!
~Susie Qute

No comments:

Post a Comment