Thursday, June 5, 2014

Ironic Altered Art Woodland Critter Greeting Cards

I found a set of 1970s vintage greeting cards at Savers thrift store near Canadaigua, NY during a recent visit to my family. I planned to use them as they were since they are lovely prints of north American animals, but they kept telling me they needed a little spicing up. When I noticed they were printed by the National Rifle Association, I was a little puzzled. So they're cards of beautiful animals to go out and shoot? It seemed a little ironic, so punk rock NRA deer happened, and the others quickly followed to keep him company.




I've bought many vintage notecards over the years and made slight alterations, but these are the most extensive by far. Most thrift stores have a stationery section near or mixed in with crafts. You can pick up old cards for a song here in Columbus, or raid your mom or grammy's stash. I used colored pencils to give these cards more personality. They'd be a great multi-media project with lace, buttons, etc.

Have fun with these designs, or you can buy blank and finished cards in my Etsy shop here. I enjoy thinking up snarky comments for the animals. Miss Bison is complaining to a friend about how hard it is to date when you're an endangered species.

Thanks for stopping by and keep living the Qute life!
~Susie Qute

No comments:

Post a Comment