Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Nautical Leather and Macrame Bracelets

In spring and summer, I just can't get enough bracelets! I love shedding the bulky sweaters and coats of winter and wearing lots of jingling bangles or soft braids and cords. So this won't be my last bracelet post of the season by any means.

I used leather colored with Sharpies as described here in my post last week. This time I wanted a ropy look so I used hemp and cotton cord for the closures. Both are easy to find. Hemp is in the jewelry section of craft stores, and you can find various sizes of cotton cord in the home dec sewing or trims by the yard section of a large craft store. It's used to form the basis of piping around cushion edges but adds great nautical flair.

In the aqua bracelet shown above, I used my leather punch to add some holes for the hemp to show through, then macramé square knots to extend the bracelet around my wrist. If you're rusty on macramé or never learned, there's an excellent tutorial at Stone Brash Creative. I used it for this project.

Since the top already has a lot going on, I didn't want to fiddle with adding jewelry findings to the bottom. A sliding knot was called for, but I've never made one before. I found Jessica Barst's video tutorial at so crafty on Squidoo and was very pleased with the results. It only took me two tries to get this knot just as I'd envisioned it.

Each whole bracelet took barely over an hour!


I added some new nautical motifs to my next bracelet, a star and compass roses. I love how they look but never drew one before. This design is pretty basic, so I'm going to explore with them more in the future.

A simple Monkey's Fist knot on one end and a knotted loop on the other give me options to wear this tight or loose.

Thanks for stopping by and keep living the Qute life!
~Susie Qute

 




No comments:

Post a Comment